Re: Re: Display of Alternatives Symbol in

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94744] Re: [mg94720] Re: [mg94699] Display of Alternatives Symbol in
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 05:17:54 -0500 (EST)

I get acceptable performance on a mac. I made a manipulate varying
over Font Size:

Manipulate[Style[a | b, n], {n, 8, 30, 1}]

and The glyph displays properly. I notice that the glyph's bottom is
below the baseline, and the top does not reach the top of a capital
letter. I suppose that this could be considered to be a problem. The
anomaly persists with different fonts, and different styles (Input,
Text, Traditional, etc.). It behaves the same with different
magnification.

The appearance of the glyph in the input statement is fine -- the line
extends from just below the baseline to the capital height.

Either I am mistaken, and the '|' glyph is supposed to extend
significantly below the baseline, or this is a minor problem with the
rendering engine.

However, I always see the proper character.

Mathematica: 7.0.0

OS X 10.5.6

george woodrow