Re: Maximum likelihood and Mathematica

Hi,

a) NMinimize[] and NMaximize[] do some kind of global optimization
b) but there is never a guarantee that a global extremum is found
    all methods for global optimization use heuristics that may work
    and find a global extremum or come close to the value of a global
    extremum
c) giving good initial estimates may work better

Regards
   Jens