Re: Maximum likelihood and Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85295] Re: Maximum likelihood and Mathematica
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 06:11:26 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

a) NMinimize[] and NMaximize[] do some kind of global optimization
b) but there is never a guarantee that a global extremum is found
    all methods for global optimization use heuristics that may work
    and find a global extremum or come close to the value of a global
    extremum
c) giving good initial estimates may work better

Regards
   Jens