Re: calculating an inverse matrix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85339] Re: calculating an inverse matrix
  • From: Alois Steindl <Alois.Steindl at tuwien.ac.at>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 06:36:18 -0500 (EST)

"michael.goossens at gmail.com" <michael.goossens at gmail.com> writes:

> So far I know the method of Gauss-Jordan(with pivot to reduce
> instability), but are there other(better) methods to calculate an
> inverse matrix?

Hello,
maybe the best method is to avoid the calculation at all.
The explicit inverse matrix is necessary only very rarely, usually the
factorization is much more efficient, especially when the matrix has
some special structure, eg. is tridiagonal.
Alois

--
Alois Steindl,                           Tel.: +43 (1) 58801 / 32558
Inst. for Mechanics and Mechatronics     Fax.: +43 (1) 58801 / 32598