Memory and NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85351] Memory and NDSolve
  • From: PV <prasanna.phys at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 04:42:55 -0500 (EST)

Hello All,
This is a general question that has reared up its head following my
earlier question and discussion,
(for the interested::
http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/be4cfdb2c357400b?hl=en#b3d4099a15314475)
 I have a large matrix (1920*1920), simple first order differential
equation that I try to solve using NDSolve. I need the value of the
solution at just one point. The Interpolating Function object
generated by NDSolve progressively becomes messier and larger crashing
my code for the lack of memory.
I have tried to free the memory occupied by the solution but that does
not happen at all. Is there a better way to circumvent this problem?
Cheers
Prasanna

PS: I remember Mr.Jens Kuska having replied to a similar post long ago
with a Runge-Kutta integrator that evaluates the soln at just one
point. I downloaded that but that does not seem to work with Matrix
DEs since it may have been written for an older Mathematica version!