What's the new "Code" Style?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85453] What's the new "Code" Style?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 06:07:30 -0500 (EST)

In the transition from earlier versions to 6.0, the Cmd-8 style in the
Default Format was changed from something like "Small Text" (if I'm
remembering correctly) to a style called "Code", which appears to
function like "Input" but is formatted differently.

What is this style? -- what's its purpose or objective? -- how does it
differ from Input?

[And for those of you who've been following my ongoing rants against
Mathematica 6 documentation -- or lack of same -- a challenge:  Don't
answer the above questions, but instead show me how a novice or ordinary
user could find the answer to them, using what knowledge they might be
expected to have, and the Mathematica Help menu item.

You'll find that looking for "Input" in the Find Selected Function menu
command brings up an immediate and informative answer.  Looking for
"Code", however, brings up 356 entries -- spread over 36 pages that you
have to click through in sequence -- and this list is not alphabetized.]