NearestFunction Algorithm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85532] NearestFunction Algorithm
  • From: "jwmerrill at gmail.com" <jwmerrill at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 04:22:31 -0500 (EST)

I'm looking to iteratively assign a list of initial points to a list
of final points such that at each step, the initial point that is
furthest from its nearest final point is assigned to its nearest final
point.  That final points is then no longer available to other initial
points.

I noticed that you can speed up repeated uses of Nearest by calling it
with only one argument in order to produce a NearestFunction, and then
using that in later calculations.  Can anyone give me a clue about how
this actually works?

Is it possible to manipulate a NearestFunction in order to remove
points that have already been assigned?

Regards,

Jason Merrill