Re: Find smallest eigenvalues in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85598] Re: Find smallest eigenvalues in mathematica
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:29:49 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

imagine that you subtract asome number from your eigenvalues so that all

Eigenvalues are negative. Then you can use Eigenvalues[..,1] to get the

smallest. This can be achieved by subtracting n IdentityMatrix from your

matrix, where n is larger than you largest positive eigenvalue.

Therefore, the following gives you the samllest eigenvalue:

n+Eigenvalues[m- n IdentityMatrix[dimension],1]

hope this helps, Daniel