Re: Automatic Differentiation in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85591] Re: Automatic Differentiation in Mathematica
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:26:13 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

suppose you have a function of several hundred or thousend
variables but less that a million. And you want to
minimize it. You have written a FORTRAN or C function
that compute this function with everything you can do
in FORTRAN, i.e., DO-loops, IF ... To minimize the function
you need the gradient,
but the computation of the gradient numerical
is  to error sensitive and take too long.
Automatic Differntation take you FORTRAN or C function and
generate a FORTRAN or C function that compute the gradient.
And yes it compute the derivative of a DO-loop and nested IF
statements.

AFAIK there is no Mathematica package that does this.

Regards
   Jens