Re: open URL programmatically?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg85608] Re: open URL programmatically?
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:52:01 -0500 (EST)

It's just something that I know and which I use in the function
OpenFileOrDirectory in  (the full
function OpenFileOrDirectory requires some finesse to make it work for
files and directories in a way that is independent of the operating
system, however for URLs it is generally fine to use what I pointed
out to this newsgroup.)  Presumably I learned about this syntax at
some point by reverse engineering something...

OpenFileOrDirectory["fileOrDirectoryName"] opens the file or \
directory given by the string fileOrDirectoryName. If \
fileOrDirectoryName is not a notebook or other Mathematica object, it \
will open in the appropriate application for its file type.  If \
fileOrDirectoryName is an application then that application will be \
launched. If fileOrDirectoryName is a web URL then that URL will be \
opened in your default browser. (Note that the function \
OpenURLInBrowser is the more direct way to do this in the case of a \
URL rather than a file on your local file system.)  >>

A WorkLife FrameWork
E x t e n d i n g MATHEMATICA's Reach...