- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg85634] Re: "Assuming"
- From: "Mariano Suárez-Alvarez" <mariano.suarezalvarez at gmail.com>
- Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 03:31:03 -0500 (EST)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On Feb 15, 9:54 am, dh <d... at metrohm.ch> wrote:
> Hi David,
> we all learned not to divide by zero, but things are a bit more subtle
> than this.
> You claim that (a^2 - 1)/(a - 1) should simplify to If[a == 1,
> Indeterminate, a + 1] and not to (a+1), but you do not give a good
> reason for this.
Well, if a is a number, then it is false that (a^2 - 1)/(a - 1)
is equal to a + 1 without qualifications... That should count
as a reason!
In fact, don't you think a reason should be provided for the
result 1 + a, instead? You yourself suggest utility for
practical applications to be such a reason.
Prev by Date:
Re: Numerical Evaluation
Next by Date:
Garbage collection and mutable data structures
Previous by thread:
Next by thread: