Re: "Assuming"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85634] Re: "Assuming"
  • From: "Mariano Suárez-Alvarez" <mariano.suarezalvarez at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 03:31:03 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 15, 9:54 am, dh <d... at metrohm.ch> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> we all learned not to divide by zero, but things are a bit more subtle
>
> than this.
>
> You claim that (a^2 - 1)/(a - 1) should simplify to If[a == 1,
>
> Indeterminate, a + 1] and not to (a+1), but you do not give a good
>
> reason for this.

Well, if a is a number, then  it is false that (a^2 - 1)/(a - 1)
is equal to a + 1 without qualifications... That should count
as a reason!

In fact, don't you think a reason should be provided for the
result 1 + a, instead? You yourself suggest utility for
practical applications to be such a reason.

-- m