Re: Mathematica 6 over ssh tunnel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85672] Re: [mg85654] Mathematica 6 over ssh tunnel
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:51:53 -0500 (EST)

   I haven't used ssh to tunnel Mathematica 6 using OS X; I've only used it
for v. 5.2 with OS X, and that was a while ago, so this may turn out to be
just static on the list.

    However, I have used ssh between Windows and Linux, with both 5.2 and 6.0.
All I've ever needed to do was connect using
           ssh -Y username@hostAddress
and then start the frontend by running "Mathematica". Though connecting from
XP to linux gives me a "bad fonts" error, I can close that window and things
work fine.

    Might the same work for you?

               Good luck,
                     C.O.

On Sunday 17 February 2008 05:24:01 dbseaton at gmail.com wrote:
> I've been using Mathematica 5.2 with a remote kernel (OS X both for
> the frontend and the remote kernel).  To get around a firewall, I've
> used, essentially, the method described at the bottom of this page:
>
> http://www.mathematica-users.org/webMathematica/wiki/wiki.jsp?pageName=FAQ_
>Remote_Kernels
>
> This works well for Mathematica 5.2.  I recently upgraded to
> Mathematica 6, however, and now everything works fine except graphics,
> which come out with only a line reading "-Graphics-" and no actual
> graphics output.  Has anybody else experienced this?  Is there a way
> around it?
>
> It appears that Graphics work if you connect with the firewall off
> (and therefore, no need for the ssh tunnel), but I can't leave the
> firewall off.  I could open up a couple of specific ports, but it
> looks like, no matter what I do, the remote kernel is trying to use
> one port that changes every time I connect, making it impossible to
> allow connections on specific ports and have any effect.  Any help
> would be most appreciated.
>
> dan seaton

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov