Re: Default font

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg85716] Re: Default font
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 06:52:06 -0500 (EST)

Yes, I had this same frustration. My personal StyleSheet is based on the
  JournalArticle.nb. I used a text editor to edit both Core.nb and
PublicationDefault.nb to change of occurences of Courier text (ugly)to
Times. I also changed the SingleLetterItalics to False wherever I found it.

My notebooks now look the way I want them to. I got some complaints from
Wolfram support about this, but I got no other solution offered to do
away with the ugly Courier font.

As always, your mileage may vary. Cheers.

Szabolcs Horv=E1t wrote:
> Jens-Peer Kuska wrote:
>> Hi,
>> has you edited the style sheet ? or created your own ?
>> Go to the Menu | Format | Edit Stylesheet... and
>> change the fonts for the format elements like Text, Title ..
> I go to Format -> Edit Stylesheet ..., and I choose the "Input" style to
> modify.  The default appears to be Times, even though input cells are in
> Courier.  I try to make it bold or italic---it works.  Then I try to
> change the font to e.g. Arial, but nothing happens.
> First I thought that there might be some limitation on changing the
> fonts for input cells because of the special characters that are only
> present in the fonts supplied with Mathematica.
> But it turns out that this is not the case: the modifications *do*
> affect all those cells which are set to be displayed as TraditionalForm,
> but not those set to StandardForm.
> Is there a simple way to change the font for StandardForm/InputForm as well?
> Szabolcs

Kevin J. McCann
Research Associate Professor
Physics Building