Getting the View I want from ListPlot3D and Show

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85787] Getting the View I want from ListPlot3D and Show
  • From: DOD <dcodea at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 05:03:37 -0500 (EST)

I created four 3D lists, and created four ListPlot3D objects(using
interpolation to get nice smooth surfaces), and then combine them with
Show.  Each listplot is a difference color, so I can see very nicely
what's going on.  When I use the option Viewpoint->Top in Show, I can
see which list has the highest value over the unit square.

What I would lake is to just export that top view to an EPS file for
me to discuss in my paper.  The problem is that there are a few
artifacts of the view that don't look so nice; Where some of the
surfaces cross there are peaks and valleys, so when viewed from the
top, the Show object bulges and distorts at the edges that have a bit
of slope.  Since I've used Viewpoint-Top, I had hoped there would be
nothing like that, so that all I would see is the color of the
different regions of the unit square, but apparently that doesn't give
me a LITERAL top view; it's viewed from some point in 3D space some
distance from the object, so even viewing from the top doesn't fully
eliminate the third dimension.

Is there some other way to either get a more perfect top view, or else
another way to color the regions of the cube according to which of
these four listsis the maximum?

Cheers
Dennis