Re: about scoping in modules

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85797] Re: about scoping in modules
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:24:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi Peter

> in the next two modules I would like that the inner module uses a variable from the outer module.
> mfb[oneObj_] := Module[{ttmp = oneObj},AppendTo[ global2mfb, ttmp]]
> mfa[e_] := Module[{global2mfb = e, t = 3},mfb[t]  ]
> mfa[{2,3}] gives a message that global2mfb is not a variable with a value, so it can not be changed.

> It means I do not understand the concept of module in Mathematica. My questions are:
> 1. why does it go wrong?

Because of the difference between lexical and dynamical scoping. This is
explained in the documentation. In version 6 you can copy the following
line to the documentation center to point it to a useful starting point
about the topic:

tutorial/BlocksComparedWithModules

> 2. how can I realize what I want?

use Block instead of Module in the definition of mfa and it will do what
I think you try to achieve...

hth,

albert