Another question on Assuming

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85866] Another question on Assuming
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at umbc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:42:34 -0500 (EST)

The first example in the Mathematica Help on Assuming is (in part)

Assuming[a > 0, Refine[Sqrt[a^2]]]

which results in the answer a, as it should; however if I type instead

Assuming[a > 0, Sqrt[a^2]]

I get back Sqrt[a^2]], but I should get a, since there is no other
correct answer, because the assumption that a > 0 implies that it a is a
positive real.

Bug?

Kevin
--