Matrix Differentiation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85876] Matrix Differentiation
  • From: mark <markmgg at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:47:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I need to differentiate a 4x4 matrix M with respect to four variables
x1,x2,x3 and x4.

I have tried to use the function D as follows:

D[M,{{x1,x2,x3,x4}}]

what I get is a 4x4 matrix and each term in this matrix is a vector.

Am I right when I used this function or there is another function to
do so?

Thanks