digital signal processing options?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84711] digital signal processing options?
  • From: Art <grenander at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 04:36:57 -0500 (EST)

Hello.

I am looking for tools that to do basic signal processing tasks such
as building FIR and IRR filters for filtering data sets on the order
of 50GB. In particular, I was looking for basic Butterworth and
elliptical filters. I was hoping for suggestions. I have only looked
at the following options:

1. I would prefer native mathematica code. There is a nice and
extensive mathsource package written by Brian Evans and others (Signal
Processing Packages 2.9.5). I am not sure how hard it is to get it to
work with Mathematica version 6. It was a precursor for the Wolfram
Signals and Systems toolbox which doesn't seem to be offered anymore:

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4578/

 I would be happy to buy something but the Wolfram toolboxes are often
priced out of my (student) budget and it would be hard to justify a
big expenditure for my lab when we already have another signal
processing toolbox. The functions from this toolbox are routinely
cited in papers in my field.

2. There is a great open source C++ library called SPUC:

http://spuc.sourceforge.net/

I was thinking of writing a Mathlink wrapper for a subset of the
library. I was wondering if that's a good idea or not or if someone
has already done something similar. I am worried that it is C++, not C
or Java, which seem to mesh better with Mathlink.

3. To do it myself. This is my first exposure to DSP and I have only
knowledge only at the level of Numerical Recipes in C, Press et al.

Thanks!