Re: question from amateur, why no demonstration for intersecting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84740] Re: question from amateur, why no demonstration for intersecting
  • From: Steve <Ackms421 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:11:32 -0500 (EST)

On Jan 11, 3:46=A0am, Jens-Peer Kuska <ku... at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> may be it was too complicated to write down
>
> Manipulate[
> =A0 DynamicModule[{isec},
> =A0 =A0isec = {x, a1 + x*b1} /. Solve[{a1 + x*b1 == a2 + x*b2}, x][[=
1]];
> =A0 =A0Plot[
> =A0 =A0 {a1 + x*b1, a2 + x*b2},
> =A0 =A0 {x, -10, 10}, PlotRange -> {{-10, 10}, {-10, 10}},
> =A0 =A0 Epilog -> {AbsolutePointSize[8], Point[isec]}
> =A0 =A0 ]], {{a1, 1}, -2, 2}, {{b1, 0}, -5, 5}, {{a2, 1}, -2,
> =A0 =A02}, {{b2, 1}, -5, 5}
> =A0 ]
>
> what ever GMAT is ...
>
> Regards
> =A0 =A0Jens
>
> Steve wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I have begun working with mathematica 6 in order to improve my skills
> > with some math concepts. I am taking the GMAT soon, and I'm trying to
> > see the equations from all angles.
>
> > I've been looking for a demonstration that would allow me to
> > interactively see the relationship between two intersecting lines, but
> > no such demonstration exists. I am curious about this, since this is a
> > rather simple thing. Even a TI-82 will graph multiple lines.
>
> > As I'm sure it is just my unfamiliarity with the program, I am
> > wondering if any such template exists or if there is another way to do
> > this in the program.
>
> > Thanks a lot for your help

Also, I have searched the demonstrations at the Mathematica site.
There are several that allow these values (x, y, b, x-int) to be
variable as *one* straight line is manipulated, but not two. Not sure
if that makes what I'm searching for any clearer, but thanks so much
again. I'm very impressed that were able to just type that code up so
quickly after I requested it!