Mathematica commenting of code using (* *) can't be nested well.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84914] Mathematica commenting of code using (* *) can't be nested well.
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 06:01:40 -0500 (EST)

Mathematica 6.0.1

I do not understand why the following can't be taken as a valid comment

(*  comment here   (*  more comments  *)

It seems to me that once the first (* is seen by the parser then it should
take everything in front of it, all the way until it sees the closing *) as
one comment.

But in the above it does not. The (* in the middle breaks this, which does
not make too much sense to me. What do you think?

Nasser