Re: Why can't Mathematica simplify this?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85015] Re: Why can't Mathematica simplify this?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 04:40:30 -0500 (EST)

On 1/22/08 at 5:40 AM, dudesinmexico at gmail.com wrote:

>I think that Mathematica should be able to simplify this, since N
>and and l are constrained to be Integers:

>Simplify[Sin[2 Pi l (N - 1) /N], {N, l} \[Element] Integers]

>Instead, I get the same expression

>Sin[(2 l (-1 + N) Pi)/N]

>Does anyone know why?

First, it is not a good idea to use N as a variable name as this
conflicts with the name of the built-in function N. In this
particular instance, this isn't the issue. But in general, the
practice of using N as a variable can lead to strange results.

But what is it you expect this expression to be simplified to?

if l = 1 and N = 2, this reduces to Sin[Pi] which is 0

if 1 = 1 and N = 3, this reduces to Sin[4 Pi/3] which is -Sqrt[3]/2

So, what is it you expect Mathematica to return?