Re: 2D Motion..pleaeeee heeeelp

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85157] Re: 2D Motion..pleaeeee heeeelp
  • From: mcmcclur at unca.edu
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 06:12:29 -0500 (EST)

> kkunstek wrote:
> > I would like to make a function like this
> > motion2D[potential_,{initr_,initv_},iter_],

Michael Trott wrote a demonstration that you might find
helpful:
http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/MotionInACentralField/

You can find a number of other related demos on that site.

> dh <d... at metrohm.ch> wrote:
> you need to specify a mass and you could use netwon's equation:
> mass acceleration== force== gradient of potential
> You would then solve this equation using e.g. NDSolve

If you would indeed like to take this approach, then you might
be interested in a notebook that I wrote for my differential
equations class.  The notebook contains code that models
the n-body problem given a list of bodies of the form
{mass, initPos, initVel}.  The code was initially written
in V5, but I added a line so that it displays correctly here.

The notebook is available as the last link "N-Body Lab"
on the class web page:
http://facstaff.unca.edu/mcmcclur/class/DiffEq/

Mark