Re: Converting Radians into Degrees into Mathematica 6.01

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85141] Re: Converting Radians into Degrees into Mathematica 6.01
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 06:04:15 -0500 (EST)

<<Units`

If you convert an exact Radian number to Degree it works.

Convert[\[Pi]/2 Radian, Degree]
90 =B0

But if you use an approximate number it immediately multiplies Degree in and
gives back the original radian value.

The ExtendUnits6 package at my web site handles the problem by wrapping the
Degree symbol in a HoldForm.

Needs["Units6`ExtendUnits6`"]

0.36 Radian // ToUnit[Degree]
% // ReleaseHold
20.6265 =B0
0.36

The package has many other convenient features. For example you can define
your own units, or  synonyms for units, GeV say for Giga ElectronVolt, or
mph for Mile/Hour. You can introduce reduced unit systems where certain
physical constants are set equal to one. Examples are geometric units in
general relativity and atomic units in quantum physics. Then you can enter
data in any compatible unit and convert to any compatible unit. You can
parse compatible units such as converting to {Hour, Minute, Second}. You can
do decibel conversions. And it is generally more convenient to use.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/