Is Format[ ,TeXForm] broken?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90216] Is Format[ ,TeXForm] broken?
  • From: Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 05:32:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I'd like to be able to customise the exporting of my Mathematica
expressions to LaTeX, but it doesn't seem to work like I expect:

    Format[AA,TeXForm]="BB";
    TeXForm[AA]

Results in "\text{BB}". So far so good. But:

    TeXForm[AA+x]

Results in "\text{AA}+x". The explicit TeXForm Format isn't applied to
built-up expressions.

I'm using Mathematica 6.0.2. Is this fixed in 6.0.3?

Now, I can use this to approximate what I want:

    Format[AA]="BB"

In this case both TeXForm outputs above show the expected result
(\text{BB} in both). But I don't really want to do that, because then
my Mathematica output will get rather messy (I use short names in Mathematica
and longer macro names in LaTeX to get consistent formatting).

Many thanks,
Will