Re: Anomaly? or at least a surprise.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90284] Re: Anomaly? or at least a surprise.
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 03:59:26 -0400 (EDT)

First notice that

D[ArcTan[x]]         gives
ArcTan[x]

So

Plot[D[ArcTan[x]], {x, -10, 10}, PlotRange -> Full]

is just a plot of ArcTan[x], if that is what you wanted. You might as well
just have used ArcTan[x]. But

Plot[D[ArcTan[x], x], {x, -10, 10}, PlotRange -> Full]

is evaluated by substituting numerical values of x into the plot expression.
For example, when Mathematica is evaluating for x = .5, say, it tries to
evaluate:

D[ArcTan[.5], .5]

which is nonsense because the second argument is not a symbolic variable
and, even if it was, the first argument does not contain a symbolic variable
but is evaluated to a number.

But the plot statement will work if you Evaluate the plotting expression.

Plot[D[ArcTan[x], x] // Evaluate, {x, -10, 10}, PlotRange -> Full]

Which all leads to a useful, but certainly not ironclad, rule. Don't cram a
lot of calculation into plotting expressions. Look at them first, outside
the plotting statement, and make certain you know what they are. Then you
might even define a function for them and put that into the plotting
statement.

f[x_] = D[ArcTan[x], x]

Plot[f[x], {x, -10, 10}, PlotRange -> Full]

Or, in this case, there is even a simpler solution:

Plot[ArcTan'[x], {x, -10, 10}, PlotRange -> Full]

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/