Re: Integration

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90321] Re: Integration
  • From: zerosumgame <rogerhw at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 04:52:50 -0400 (EDT)

On 4 Jul, 08:59, Eomer <eomer... at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to numerically integrate a particular function. I define f to be equal to that function. Then, I do N[Integrate[f,{x,0,1}]. The output is f. Why? Why don't I get an answer?
>
> Thanks
> Rohan.

Rohan

You have not made x an argument of f.  As a result mathematica thinks
f is simply a constant to be integrated between 0 and 1 which returns
the constant f.  N[f]=f.

What you need to write is N[Integrate[f[x],{x,0,1}].

If something goes wrong after doing that you have some problem with
the definition of f.

Roger