Re: A strange precision behavior?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg90404] Re: A strange precision behavior?
- From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
- Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 02:28:31 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Hi, 0.01 is MachinePrecision. If you bloat the accuracy of some numbe, random (binary) digits are added, that is the content of the corresponding memory. hope this helps, Daniel Aaron Fude wrote: > The following two commands result in different values: > > SetPrecision[0.01, 50] > 0.01`50 > > Is that because in the first case, 0.01 is first represented as a > double and then passed to SetPrecision, while in the second case, > Mathematica gets a chance to interprete 0.01 as 1/100? > > Thanks! > > Aaron > -- Daniel Huber Metrohm Ltd. Oberdorfstr. 68 CH-9100 Herisau Tel. +41 71 353 8585, Fax +41 71 353 8907 E-Mail:<mailto:dh at metrohm.com> Internet:<http://www.metrohm.com>