Re: running multiple mathkernel's

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90547] Re: running multiple mathkernel's
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 05:34:02 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/11/08 at 5:57 AM, deepyogurt at gmail.com (Bob F) wrote:

>On Jul 10, 4:33 am, John Jowett <John.M.Jow... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>First of all, it should be said that people often want two
>>different notebooks to run the same kernel so that's why new
>>notebooks normally just run the same default kernel. Speaking for
>>myself, I think that's the most common situation.

>What advantage is there to having two notebooks run sequentially
>with one MathKernel? Is there a disadvantage to having two
>MathKernel's run the two notebooks?

Do you want the two notebooks to be totally independent of each
other? Or would you prefer output from one to be easily seen by
the other?

If you have separate kernels, you have two separate Global
contexts, one for each notebook. So, there isn't any simple way
for one notebook to "talk" to the other'

Are the two kernels running on the same machine? And if both are
running on the same machine, does that machine have a single CPU
with a single core?

Answers to your questions depend on these factors and perhaps
others I haven't thought of.