Re: Wacky Font Substitution in .eps Export

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90599] Re: Wacky Font Substitution in .eps Export
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 06:17:53 -0400 (EDT)

jfuite at phys.ualberta.ca wrote:

> I am creating some graphics for Export to an .eps file.  It seems that
> font embedding is an issue discussed in the past on the forums.  What
> about suprious font substitutions?
>
> The following statement produces the expected simple graphic:
>
> Show@Graphics[{Text["abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890\nABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ!
> @#$%^&*()",{0,0},TextStyle->{FontFamily->"Times"}]}].
>
> It is sort of a sample of the keyboard, all in, one would expect, the
> common font, "Times".
>
> When this graphic is passed through the function, Export, as an .eps
> file, Export["deleteMe.eps", %], and opened in any other program, then
> some of the common special characters are missing, with blanks in
> their place:
>
> abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890
> ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ  #$%^&   .
>
> At least one of the programs complained about a missing Mathematica
> font.  But why is a Mathematica font being used when I asked for
> Times?  How can I work around this?  I especially want to use brackets
> in graphics.

FWIW, I have tried the code you posted and got no problems (i.e. all
characters of the font Times were there) when visualizing the .eps file
in Preview (PDF viewer) and TeXShop (TeX/LaTeX processing program) on my
platform Intel Core2 Duo 64=bit Mac OS X Leopard 1.5.4  Mathematica 6.0.2.

It would help us if you could post some information about your platform
and software.

Regards,
-- Jean-Marc