Re: Mathematica slide shows

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90628] Re: [mg90613] Mathematica slide shows
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 05:32:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 06:28:34 -0400 (EDT), Coleman, Mark wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm putting together a technical presentation for a general business
> audience. Normally our company convention would be to do this in a
> static PowerPoint slideshow, with more complex graphics cut and pasted
> in from Mathematica. Given the nature of the presentation, however, I
> feel it would much more effective to do it in Mathematica and make use of
> the
> dynamic capabilities of v6. the presentation involves showing results
> generated from a fairly large and complex set of calculations, data
> manipulation, etc. I wish to shield my audience from all of the
> underlying Mathematica detail and just show them the necessary graphs,
> tables,
> and dynamic elements. The end product will likely be 40-50 slides in
> length
>
> What is the preferred way of doing this in v6, e.g., put all the
> background code/data in one .nb and the presentation itself in another
> .nb file? Or keep all of the code and output in the same file and hide
> the raw Mathematica commands?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Most people I know keep the code in the same notebook.  I personally would find
the synchronization problems frustrating without the code inline.  There are
several options for hiding the input cells, including the new ability in version
6 to collapse a cell group around a cell other than the topmost cell
(double-click the cell bracket of the cell you wish to remain visible).

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group