Re: running multiple mathkernel's

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg90652] Re: running multiple mathkernel's
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 04:00:12 -0400 (EDT)

Bob F wrote:

> What advantage is there to having two notebooks run sequentially with
> one MathKernel? Is there a disadvantage to having two MathKernel's run
> the two notebooks?

Often the two notebooks contain code which is required to operate
together - in which case the default use of a single kernel is ideal.

To be explicit, with the default configuration, if you define a function
foo in notebook A, and execute the definition, you can then run code
from notebook B that uses foo. It is also possible for individual
notebooks to use their own context (in 6.0) but I am talking about the
default case.

This may be totally obvious to you, but I have encountered people who do
not realise this, and the modern form of documentation does not help IMHO.

David Bailey