changing the NumberForm of Automatic Plot Ticks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90662] changing the NumberForm of Automatic Plot Ticks
  • From: Stern <nycstern at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 04:02:06 -0400 (EDT)

When using Mathematica to analyze financial problems, I often create graphs
in which the Y axis describes amounts of money. These are typically large
enough that Mathematica switches to scientific notation (that is, 2.7x10^8
rather than $270,000,000). I can force the latter with a custom Ticks
function (Table[{i,"$" <> ToString[NumberForm[i, DigitBlock -> 3,
ExponentFunction -> (Null &)], etc.) but this becomes inelegant when it's
buried inside a Manipulate call and the range and spacing of the ticks are
changing. Is there some straightforward way to change the formatting of
these tick numbers?

Thanks,

Michael Stern