Re: export eps

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90731] Re: export eps
  • From: Alberto Verga <Alberto.Verga at laposte.net>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 03:55:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 21, 10:28 am, J Davis <texasAUti... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 5:58 am, Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gull... at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > james... at googlemail.com wrote:
> > > I have a graph generated with ContourPlot3D.
>
> > > when I try to export it aseps, theepsfile is 50MB size.
>
> > > I need to use theepsimage in Latex.
>
> > > how to solve this problem
>
> > Usually, when a graph is
> > too large, it is a good idea to control the adaptive sampling thanks to
> > the options *PlotPoints* and *MaxRecursion*
>
> Yes, Jean-Marc, but what if one is not setting PlotPoints nor
> MaxRecursion to an unusually high number? What to do then about these
> large graphics files?
>
> IMO, this is a very dissatisfying unresolved "feature" of v6 over 5
> that I am very surprised (and disappointed) has not been resolved at
> this late date.
>
> When I "Save Selection As..." either PDF or EPS of a simple
>
> Plot3D[Sin[x^2+y^2],{x,-2,2},{y,-2,2}]
>
> I get PDF's that are about 700K and EPS that are almost 4 mb. These
> are huge file sizes---especially relative to how small these files
> were in v5.
>
> Ugh.

Indeed, the simple
   p3D=Plot3D[Sin[x^2+y^2],{x,-2,2},{y,-2,2}]
   Export["p3D.pdf",p3D]
gives you an unusable .pdf:
The exported file contains lots of spurious white polygons filling
flat faces.
The only "work-around" I've found is to export in bitmap (.png for
instance) and then convert it to pdf or eps (?!)

A. Verga