Re: Non linear system

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90739] Re: Non linear system
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 03:57:23 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/21/08 at 4:28 AM, jorgecerrillo at gmail.com (Jorge) wrote:

>I am employed at the resolution of a system not linear equations
>with 23 equations and 23 variables.

>All the equations are of the form:

>X=k*y*x+k*z*x Where k are constant and x and z variables.

This isn't an equation in Mathematica syntax.

This expression assigns the results of k*y*x+k*z*x to X. If this
is the actual expression you gave NSolve to work with then you
will need to use Equal ("==") not Set ("=").

Also, your title indicates you are trying to solve a non-linear
system yet your example is linear since X is not x. Perhaps you
meant an equation (using Mathematica syntax) in the form of

x == k*y*x+k*z*x

rather than what you posted.

But since this reduces to

1 == k*y+k*z

which is still linear. Clearly, there is something else missing
or wrong.

>I use for resolution the function Nsolve, but I do not obtain
>solution,

Note there is no built-in function Nsolve. The built-in function
is NSolve.

>What function might I use?

There really is no way to answer this without more detail. But
based on what you posted, my guess is you have not used syntax
consistent with what you intend or want.