Re: Re: Text search within a documentation page?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90879] Re: [mg90865] Re: Text search within a documentation page?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:33:03 -0400 (EDT)

This is the same sort of issue one faces with, say, a Google search --
except that in Google one can use has additional parameters
  to narrow down the domain, time, etc.

I was going to say that Google also allows AND, OR, and NOT whereas the
Mathematica Documentation Center Search does not.  But I discovered to
my surprise that these connectives work in the latter, too!  For example:

   plot AND NOT Sin

does NOT list the reference page for Plot (at least among the first 150
items in the result that I examined).  And

   plot OR EllipticF

returns pages for both "plot" and "EllipticF".

So perhaps some drilling down can be accomplished by adding some AND or
AND NOT phrase to the end of the item in the search bar after you get
too long a list of results.

Does Mathematica do a full-text search already?  If not, the search does
seem often to pick up quite a few instances of a supplied phrase within
the body of pages whose links are returned.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305