Re: Method Option

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90906] Re: Method Option
  • From: mark mcclure <mcmcclur at unca.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 01:38:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 27, 2:42 am, Peter Breitfeld <ph... at t-online.de> wrote:
> A lot of build-in functions in Mathematica have the option Method. Usually
> this is mentioned in the "More Information" section of the reference page.
> Most of the time there is the statement Method->Automatic.
> Take for example ContourPlot:
>   "Method Automatic the method to use for refining contours"
> OK, but what other methods do I have then?

Even though Method -> Automatic appears in the list
generated by Options[ContourPlot], the option appears
to be ignored.  Otherwise,
  ContourPlot[x^2 + y^2, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2},
   Method -> Bogus]
would generate error messages.  Actually, this is a
good technique find possible options.  Here's an
example with NIntegrate:

-----------------------------
Mathematica 6.0 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)
Copyright 1988-2008 Wolfram Research, Inc.

In[1]:= NIntegrate[x^2, {x,-2,2}, Method -> Bogus]

NIntegrate::bdmtd:
   The Method option should be one of Automatic,
   CartesianRule, ClenshawCurtisRule,
   GaussBerntsenEspelidRule, GaussKronrodRule,
   LobattoKronrodRule, LobattoPeanoRule, MultiPanelRule,
   NewtonCotesRule, TrapezoidalRule, AdaptiveMonteCarlo,
   AdaptiveQuasiMonteCarlo, DoubleExponential,
   DuffyCoordinates, ExtrapolatingOscillatory, MonteCarlo,
   QuasiMonteCarlo, Trapezoidal, EvenOddSubdivision,
   SymbolicPiecewiseSubdivision, OscillatorySelection,
   UnitCubeRescaling, or a user-implemented integration
   strategy or rule.

NIntegrate::nsr:
   Bogus is not a valid specification of an integration
   strategy or rule.

                    2
Out[1]= NIntegrate[x , {x, -2, 2}, Method -> Bogus]

You can find information on the method types by searching
the documentation.  I don't believe there is standard way
to do this, though.  I'd like to know a general technique
to detect which method is selected when Method is set to
Automatic.

Mark McClure