Re: Adding markers on the surface of a Plot3D?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89356] Re: Adding markers on the surface of a Plot3D?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 02:57:03 -0400 (EDT)

Here is a practice function.

f[x_, y_] := x^2 - 2 x y^2 + y^2

The following draws only two mesh lines at specific values. MeshStyle is
used to give a style to the lines.

Plot3D[f[x, y], {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1},
 PlotStyle -> ColorData["Legacy"]["DarkSeaGreen"],
 Mesh -> {{.5}, {.5}},
 MeshStyle -> Directive[Black, AbsoluteThickness[2]],
 Lighting -> "Neutral"]

The following does the same thing, only now the style is embedded directly
with each mesh line.

Plot3D[f[x, y], {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1},
 PlotStyle -> ColorData["Legacy"]["DarkSeaGreen"],
 Mesh ->
  {{{.5, Directive[Black, AbsoluteThickness[2]]}}, {{.5,
     Directive[Black, AbsoluteThickness[2]]}}},
 Lighting -> "Neutral"]

The following draws a set of mesh lines in red and then draws two special
mesh lines in thick black.

  {{Sequence @@ Table[{x, Red}, {x, .1, .9, .1}], {.5,
     Directive[Black, AbsoluteThickness[2]]}}, {Sequence @@
     Table[{x, Red}, {x, .1, .9, .1}], {.5,
     Directive[Black, AbsoluteThickness[2]]}}},
 Lighting -> "Neutral"]

The following uses Presentations to draw the special lines as extra curves.
We can just combine all the various items in one Draw3DItems statement.

Needs["Presentations`Master`"]

Draw3DItems[
 {Legacy@DarkSeaGreen,
  Draw3D[f[x, y], {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}],
  Black, AbsoluteThickness[2],
  ParametricDraw3D[{.5, y, f[.5, y] + .01}, {y, 0, 1}],
  ParametricDraw3D[{x, .5, f[x, .5] + .01}, {x, 0, 1}]},
 NeutralLighting[.0, .5, .1],
 Axes -> True,
 BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1/2},
 ImageSize -> 350]

The following displays the special mesh lines dynamically using a Slider2D.

Manipulate[
 Draw3DItems[
  {Legacy@DarkSeaGreen,
   Draw3D[f[x, y], {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}],
   Black, AbsoluteThickness[1],
   ParametricDraw3D[{First[u], y, f[First[u], y] + .02}, {y, 0, 1}],
   ParametricDraw3D[{x, Last[u], f[x, Last[u]] + .02}, {x, 0, 1}]},
  NeutralLighting[.0, .5, .1],
  Axes -> True,
  BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1/2},
  ImageSize -> 350],
 {u, {0, 0}, {1, 1}}]

The following is a fancier presentation using a DynamicModule and a Grid
containing the Slider2D and digital readout. Dynamic coordination of
graphical and digital information is a wonderful method for exploring a
mathematical relation. It's really like having your cake and eating it too.
You can never get this on a dead static printed page.

DynamicModule[{u = {.5, .5}},
 Column[{
   (* Digital control and readout *)
   Panel@Grid[{
      {Item[Style["Dynamic Surface Marker", 16], Alignment -> Center],
        SpanFromLeft},
      {Slider2D[Dynamic[u]], {x, y} == Dynamic[u]},
      {SpanFromAbove, HoldForm[f[x, y]] == Dynamic[f @@ u]}
      },
     ItemSize -> 10,
     Alignment -> Left],