Re: Re: Adding markers on the surface of a Plot3D?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89402] Re: [mg89375] Re: Adding markers on the surface of a Plot3D?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 02:33:49 -0400 (EDT)

In other words - the change in the behaviour of Show in version 6 was
not any kind of "interface design change" (optional or otherwise) but
a consequence of the most fundamental change in Mathematica 6 compared
with earlier version, namely: the fact that in Mathematica 6 the
actual "graphic" (i.e. a picture) is a Mathematica object itself and
not a "side effect", and hence when obtained as output behaves exactly
as all other Mathematica output does.
In addition to greater consistency, a major advantage of this is that
all kinds of graphic details can now be controlled using the
Mathematica programming language itself, while in earlier versions,
one had to resort to programming in PostScript (or using an external
program that could edit PostScript files). This is, of course, a
perfect illustration of the concept of "integration" as in "the
world's only fully integrated technical computing system" ....

Andrzej Kozlowski