Many problems with 6.0, possibly java

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89464] Many problems with 6.0, possibly java
  • From: Shane <mathmuncher11 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 03:41:07 -0400 (EDT)

Ever since I reinstalled Java JRE 6, my Mathematica 6.0 hasn't been cooperative. When I start it up a dialog pops up right away: "Choose a MathLink program to launch", I've selected Mathematica.exe and the other executables in the Mathematica folder, but the problem that many functions don't work is still there. Here's what pops up in the messages dialog:

"JLink`InstallJava::uifail: The separate Java user-interface link \
could not be established.

JLink`InstallJava::fail: A link to the Java runtime could not be \
established."

Additionally to some functions not working, when I open the documentation center, after a few seconds of idling, the program gives this:

"The Kernel is not responding to a Dynamic Evaluation. You may either choose to abort and restart the kernel or continue waiting. Dynamic updating can be re-enabled using the Dynamic Updating Enabled command in the Evaluation menu. - Abort or -Continue Waiting".

Thanks to all who help.