Re: Show and 6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89495] Re: Show and 6.0
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:16:16 -0400 (EDT)

I've just read the three most recent posts in this thread (as they
appear in my newsreader anyway), and I'd suggest that what is most
interesting about them is the very substantial _differences_ in
interpretation and emphasis and viewpoint between these posts --- in
fact, I think they fairly could be described as very considerable
contradictions  --- especially between the posts by David Park and Bill
Rowe.

And examining the Help for ";" shows how inadequate it is for resolving
these differing viewpoints.

And all of this, by illustrating the potential for confusion that can
arise at even this elementary level of Mathematica input syntax, and the
differing impressions that users can form, emphasizes once again the
need for clear and helpful and much better _user_ education and
documentation (as contrasted to formal or reference documentation).

And, just to flog the horse once more, how poorly WRI has met this need.