Re: Notebooks location

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89550] Re: Notebooks location
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 06:29:25 -0400 (EDT)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> Which reminds me:  What about including some mechanism so that the
> following could vary from one Mathematica version to another when more
> than one is installed?
>
>    $AddOnsDirectory
>    $UserAddOnsDirectory
>    $BaseDirectory
>    $UserBaseDirectory

It can be done for $BaseDirectory and $UserBaseDirectory:

The value of $BaseDirectory can be specified by setting the
MATHEMATICA_BASE operating system environment variable when the
Mathematica kernel is launched. It cannot be reset from inside the kernel.

The value of $UserBaseDirectory can be specified by setting the
MATHEMATICA_USERBASE operating system environment variable when the
Mathematica kernel is launched. It cannot be reset from inside the kernel.

$AddOnsDirectory and $UserAddOnsDirectory are undocumented in version 6
and will be set to $BaseDirectory and $UserBaseDirectory, respectivly,
at least on my Windows XP with Mathematica 6.0.2.

hth,

albert