Nested Grids

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89622] Nested Grids
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 06:13:41 -0400 (EDT)

Nested Grids would seem to be a very useful construct because subportions of
a large grid could be independently developed. However, I have been studying
the tutorial/GridsRowsAndColumns and it has only one example and that
example hides a defect. Here is the slightly modified example with Frames
added for all elements:

Grid[{{Grid[{{a, b}, {c, d}}, Frame -> All, Background -> Orange],
   e}, {f, g}},
 Frame -> All]

The problem is that the nested Grid does not fill its space. If we use
Dividers -> Central, they also do not fill to the edges of the containing
item. It seems that we need something like an ImageMargins option, but that
is not available. Is there an easy method to get nested grids to fill their
space in the enclosing grid? Is there a hard way?

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/