Re: a mathlink question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg89633] Re: [mg89620] a mathlink question
  • From: "J. McKenzie Alexander" <jalex at>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 06:37:28 -0400 (EDT)

Does it have to be a C-program?  If not, you can do this via J/Link in
the following way. First, compile the following class:

public class MemorySum {
	double total;
	public MemorySum() {

	public double AddToPreviousSum(double x) {
		total += x;
		return total;
Once you've compiled that and saved the class inside a jar file,
create an instance of the class in Mathematica as follows:

You then call the function as follows:

In[29]:= object@AddToPreviousSum[10]

Out[29]= 10.
Out[30]= 20.
Out[31]= 30.
Out[32]= 40.
Out[33]= 50.

The J/Link documentation has more details regarding persistence of
Java objects.

Dr J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE