Re: Workbench editing snag

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89679] Re: Workbench editing snag
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 00:40:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> Please forgive the trivial question
> coming from a newcomer.
>
> I have Mathematica 6.0 and Mathematica
> Workbench 1.0 running on a PC (Windows XP)
> in my school's lab.
>
> When trying to edit a .NB file from within
> Workbench (Navigator panel)
>
> - with Default editor -
> I get it opened in Mathematica, instead
>
> - with In-Place Editor -
> I get it opened in Workbench but I can't
> edit any way. Even writing in it isn't
> allowed.
>
> Please can you explain and/or point out
> a way to fix it up ?

There is none. Workbench is all about writing packages, that is *.m
files, so an inline editor is only available for these, notebook files
(*.nb) will always be opened with Mathematica (or in an unreadable form
in a regular inline text-editor).

Of course it would be nice if you could use all the advantages of the
workbench when working with notebooks, too, but this would be much more
effort to implement than for the *.m files and has not been done AFAIK.

hth,

albert