Re: snippets

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg89708] Re: snippets
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 06:41:03 -0400 (EDT)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> That's a useful tutorial on your blog. Of course the palette shown
> reflects your own interests and needs.
> But the title "Newbie.nb" for this palette jarred when I saw the For
> expression on one of the buttons.  In general, it's a bad idea to look
> right away to For in order to do iteration.  I recommend that "newbies"
> not even be told about For until all other, more reasonable constructs
> -- Table, Sum, f@@expr, f/expr, Nest, etc. -- be tried first for fit to
> the problem.
> In short, when in Mathematica-land, code in the best
> "Mathematica-speak", not in FORTRAN-speak, C-speak, etc.
> bobeuland at wrote:
>> Since nobody answered my question I had to do some digging myself. The
>> best approach I found was to make a custom palette for my snippets.
>> You can see how I've done it at

Can I suggest that people should be taught BOTH procedural and
functional code. This is because procedural code can be very useful for
messy problems - where the arrays are not going to be processed in a
nice uniform way. Sure, there will probably be a functional equivalent,
but it may be quite hard to formulate.

Procedural code also provides a comforting link with C and Fortran
programming experience - a bit like learning to ice skate by holding on
to the barrier!

David Bailey