Re: Looking for an example

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89822] Re: Looking for an example
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 05:32:37 -0400 (EDT)

ah3133 wrote:

> I tried posting this once but I think I screwed it up, sorry if this a
> repost.

It is not clear, at least to me, whether you use Mathematica. Since this
newsgroup is dedicated to Mathematica, software made and published  by
Wolfram Research, Inc., I shall assume that you are using it and show
you an example written in Mathematica.

> I'm looking for an example of an equation which has multiple possible
> integers for the domain, but only one possible integer for the range.

Here, I believe you are talking about a *surjective* function from a
subset of Z to another subset of Z.

> I want the domain to be a set of numbers that increase by a set
> increment ( like 2,3,4,5 or 2, 4,6,8 ) and I want don't want the range
> to be 0 or 1.

Assuming I have correctly understood all your requirements, the
following function should fit your needs.

In[22]:= f[x_Integer] = Mod[x, 2, 1];
f /@ Range[2, 8, 2] // Union

Out[23]= {2}

Regards,