Mathematica performance improvements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89841] Mathematica performance improvements
  • From: Syd Geraghty <sydgeraghty at mac.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 03:24:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Some may be interested in the three successive benchmarks below run on
my MacBook Pro starting with Mathematica 5.2 in Jan 2007.

{
  {"Machine Name:", "syd-geraghtys-computer"},
  {"System:", "Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)"},
  {"Date:", "January 8, 2007"},
  {"Mathematica Version:", "5.2.2"},
  {"Benchmark Result:", "1.76"}
}

{
  {"Machine Name:", "syd-geraghtys-computer"},
  {"System:", "Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)"},
  {"Date:", "May 7, 2007"},
  {"Mathematica Version:", "6.0.0"},
  {"Benchmark Result:", "1.67"}
}

{
  {"Machine Name:", "syds-macbook-pro"},
  {"System:", "Mac OS X x86 (64-bit)"},
  {"Date:", "June 19, 2008"},
  {"Mathematica Version:", "6.0.3"},
  {"Benchmark Result:", "1.94"}
}

The latest result with just installed Mathematica 6.0.3 is an impressive
performance increase.

I cannot wait for the new Mac Snow Leopard OS with enhanced support
for multiple processors and the next version of Mathematica which will (I
heard in one of the WRI online seminars) be optimised for
multiprocessor operation in the standard distribution.

A great reason to buy a new 8 processor Mac Pro sometime soon.

I also conjecture that multiple GPUs will be incorporated into the mix
in a year or so leading to many Teraflop performance.

(Intel, nVidia, Apple have all talked publicly about GPUs and C
compilers to support them).

Any inputs from MathGroup or WRI welcome.

Cheers ... Syd

Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.

sydgeraghty at mac.com

Mathematica 6.0.3 for Mac OS X x86 (64 - bit) (21st May, 2008)
MacOS X V 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM