Re: How can I evaluate this statement?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg89955] Re: [mg89895] How can I evaluate this statement?
- From: DrMajorBob <drmajorbob at att.net>
- Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:26:26 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <11147203.1214293937490.JavaMail.root@m08>
- Reply-to: drmajorbob at longhorns.com
Possibly this is of help: Reduce[a^2 > b^2 && a > b] (b <= 0 && a > -b) || (b > 0 && a > b) or Reduce[a^2 > b^2] b \[Element] Reals && (a < -Sqrt[b^2] || a > Sqrt[b^2]) or Reduce[a^2 > b^2, Reals] a < -Sqrt[b^2] || a > Sqrt[b^2] Bobby On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 02:26:32 -0500, pircdefense <gregthaopenny at gvtc.com> wrote: > I'm trying to show for all real numbers whether the following statement > is true or false: > > If a > b, then a^2 > b^2. I've tried various syntax and configurations > in Mathematica, but I can't get it to report true or false. Can anyone > offer a solution? > > -- DrMajorBob at longhorns.com