Re: Re: Package File for Different Mathematica Versions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg90002] Re: [mg89976] Re: Package File for Different Mathematica Versions
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 04:41:54 -0400 (EDT)

And you might make the handling of the conditional simpler by organizing
things like this:

   myfunc5[x_]:= x^2;
   myfunc6[x_]:= 2x;
   myfunc[x_]:=If[$VersionNumber>=6, myfunc5[x],myfunc6[x]]

That way, you can keep what's inside the If expression much shorter and
therefore easier to maintain.

Bill Rowe wrote:
> On 6/24/08 at 3:29 AM, acbev at (Andrew Beveridge) wrote:
>> I am writing a package file for Mathematica. I have two versions of
>> Mathematica targeted: 5.2 and 6.0.x.
>> It would be nice to use some of the improvements in Version 6.0.x
>> without losing backwards compatibility with Version 5.2.
>> I imagine one way to implement this would be the following:
>> If $VersionNumber >= 6 then ... else ...
>> However, I would prefer not to put a bunch of If statements into my
>> code; multiple lines would have to be modified. Is there are more
>> elegant way around this problem? Can a function be defined for a
>> particular versions of Mathematica in a package file?
> Yes, a function can be defined for a particular version of
> Mathematica. You could have a construct like
> If[$VersionNumber >=6,
>     myfunc[x_]:=x^2,
>     myfunc[x_]:=2 x];
> That is you can put the definitions for functions inside an If
> construct. And if you all the code for version 5 separate from
> all of the code for version 6, you should be able use one If
> construct. In essence what you are doing is making your function
> definitions for version 5 part of a compound expression and
> function definitions for version 6 part of another compound
> expression. Then the If construct determines which compound
> expression is evaluated which ensures the correct definitions
> are used.
> For awhile, I was using this type of construct in my init.m file
> so that I could keep both versions 5 and 6 running with the same
> init.m file quite successfully. I've since edited this out since
> I no longer use version 5.x.

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305