Unwrap a nonlinear section cut of a 3d graphics construct?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90031] Unwrap a nonlinear section cut of a 3d graphics construct?
  • From: Kraig Warnemuende <kwarnemuende at nthconsultants.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:13:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

This is kind of hard to explain.  Instead let me describe what I am trying to do and then ask if anyone can assist me in this job.

I am working in Mathematica V6.  I have several sets of measured data that consist of 3D elements in an elliptic cylindrical arrangement intersecting a nonlinear surface.  I have constructed a 3D graphic that includes these elements generated as 3D primitives and the surface as generated using ListSurfacePlot3D.  The 3D graphic is ideal for real-time visualization allowing me to rotate and pan.  However, I desire to clearly present the interference of the primitives with the surface, so, I would like to take one or more elliptic section cuts through the arrangement of 3D primitives and the surface and unroll it into a panoramic 2D figure.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to discover a means of doing.  Can someone help me?

Thanks

Kraig