Replacing elements in a list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90092] Replacing elements in a list
  • From: yedidel at gmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 05:54:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I have a list of pairs that looks like this:

{{1,2},{3,4},{1,{1,2}}}

Each pair element can be a pair by itself.

I have another list which lists all elements possible:
{1,2,3,4,{1,2}}

Now I want to create a list of rules that will take the element list
and give it a running number ({1,2} will be 5 in this example)

after that I want to apply those rules to the pair list BUT that will
do it only from the second level down. This means that the final
result should be:

without the first pair {1,2} changing to 5 because it is a pair and
not an element.